1 litre milk
2 lemons or 1/4 cup vinegar
1 tsp wheat flour (maida)
3 cups water
1 1/2 cup sugar
FOR REDUCED MILK
Soak few saffron strands in cold and keep aside.Boil milk and simmer on low heat till it is reduced to 1/4 or 1/2 the quantity. Grind together sugar and almonds to make fine powder. Add this in reduced milk and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes till it thickens. Add dissolved saffron milk in it and turn of the gas. Keep this milk aside and let’s prepare balls now.
Boil milk add lemon in it. Let it curdle. Turn off the gas and let it rest for 5 minutes. Strain it and wash under water to take out sourness.
Take muslin cloth, keep curdled milk in it and keep some heavy weight on it, to take out all the excess water (I used chakla) and keep aside for15 minutes.
After 15 minutes knead the paneer (it should be completely dry, and should not stick to your hands)
Now knead it well using tip of your palm as shown in pic for at least 3-4 minutes.
Add flour in it and again knead for 2-3minutes. At this stage your dough should be soft and without cracks in it.
Boil water with sugar in it. By that time makes ping-pong sized balls of the dough.
Drop these balls in boiling water and cover the lid. Cook on high flame for 5-10 minutes or till it becomes double in size and spongy. Don’t over crowd the vessel, balls should get enough space to expand.
Put these balls in prepared reduced milk, chill in fridge, garnish with nuts and enjoy.
KEEPING HEAVY WEIGHT ON PANEER AND KNEADING IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP FOR CRACK-FREE RASMALAI.
DON’T OVER KNEAD OR BALLS WILL BECOME HARD.
FOR REDUCED MILK
1. Boil milk and let it simmer on low flame till reduced to half.
2. Grind together cashews and sugar.
3. Should be fine powder.
3. When milk is reduced add the powder and simmer for more 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add dissolved kesar milk in it, turn off the gas and keep aside.
1. Boil 1 litre milk and curdle by adding lemon.
2. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
3. Strain it and wash under fresh water well to take out the sourness.
4. Put this in muslin cloth.
5. Tie it and keep heavy weight on it. Keep it aside for10 minutes.
6. Take it out after 10 minutes, it should be dry.
7. Knead it well using tip of your palm for 5-8 minutes.
8. Add flour, knead again for 3-4 minutes.
9. It should be without cracks and soft.
10. Boil water and sugar.
11. Put the balls in boiling water.
12. Cover with lid and keep on high flame for 5-10 minutes.
13. Put these balls in prepared reduced milk and chill in fridge.
14. Garnish with nuts and serve.