Every day we mother’s are in dilemma, to what to give in kids school lunch box. We want it healthy, filling and something which can be consumed easily even after getting cold. Here is a healthy, filling and tasty recipe for kids school lunch box. You can even serve in breakfast.
1 chopped onion
2 medium sized tomatoes
1 medium sized finely chopped carrot
1/4 cup boiled corn
1 small sized finely chopped red bell pepper (optional)
1 small sized finely chopped capsicum
1/2 cup grated proceeded or mozzarella cheese
3-4 cheese slices
8-10 bread slices (white/brown or multi-grain)
salt and chilli flakes to taste
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp mixed herb or oregano
1-2 tbsp butter or oil for brushing
Blanch tomatoes by adding 2 cups of water in pan and bring it to boil. Put tomatoes in it and let it cook on high flame till it is done or skin of tomato start leaving the sides. Drain the water and let tomatoes come down to room temperature, peel the skin and blend it to make smooth paste. Keep aside.
Heat some oil in pan, add onion and saute till golden in colour. Add blanched tomato puree. Add salt, oregano and chili flakes. Mix well and cook till it start releasing oil or start leaving the sides of pan.
Add finely chopped carrot and let it cook for 3-4 minutes till it become tender and soft. Add boiled corn, capsicum and bell pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the flame, add grated cheese. Mix well and let it come down to room temperature.
If you are planning to pack it in kids school tiffin, prepare the filling a night prior and store in air-tight jar and keep in fridge as I did.
In morning, take out filling from fridge and keep aside. By that time prepare bread.
Cut the edges of the bread, put generous amount of filling, top with cheese slice, cover with another slice.
Keep in grill toaster and toast till crisp and brown.
If you are using pan or tawa, apply some butter on one side of the bread, toast on high flame till crisp and brown, apply butter on top side of the bread, flip and toast till crisp and brown.
Let it come down to room temperature, slice and pack or serve in breakfast.
1. Add some water in pan, add tomatoes and boil till tender and soft. Drain the water, let it come down to room temperature.
2. Remove the skin and blend to make fine paste. Keep aside.
3. In pan heat some oil, saute onions till golden.
4. Add blanched tomato puree.
5. Add salt, and herbs.
6. Cook till it release oil or start leaving the sides of pan.
7. Add finely chopped carrot and cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add boiled corn, bell pepper and capsicum.
9. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minute.
10. Turn off the flame and add grated cheese. Mix well.
11. I stored it in air-tight bowl for morning kids school tiffin.
12. Next morning, just trim the bread slices, put generous amount of filling, top with cheese.
13. Apply butter on slices and toast in grill toaster or tawa.
14. Close and toast till crisp and brown.
15. It’s done.
17. It’s ready to go in kids school tiffin.
18. With some overnight soaked almonds.